Monday, May 11, 2009

MAKING DO WITH WHAT YOU HAVE

Lately I have been hearing people talking about decorating their home and buying new clothes and going on trips and buying this or buying that.
On the same day I read about the economy in the USA and know that it is really bad and many people are suffering daily because of it. Thousands have lost their jobs due to bad decisions of our government. Sad to say, but it is true. How can a country spend more than it brings in? Raise taxes! So now, all those who are not working can collect from the government money it does not have unless they take it from the PEOPLE.

I am of the opinion that most folks have forgotten to "make do" with what they have. Making do does not mean you can never do better, but it is the understanding that for now we can not do or go or buy what we THINK we need.

There is a huge difference between needs and wants. Most people in the United States do not understand this whatsoever. Sorry, but that is my thought. It is my blog!

Living in Brazil for so many years has helped me to see another side of life. How can so many people in the world be content to have so little, while there are others who have so much already and are not at all content in thier life.

Now days it is easier to just go in debt rather than just "make do" until the money is available to do more.
No one wants to just "make do" with what they have. If they can't have something new or better than others around them then they feel they are being left out or they feel underpriviledged.

The thought is now days........"will it match my decor? "if not, then I could not possibily use that".
Is it the right color? if not, then I could not possibly use it".
"Throw out all those decorations as in the new house they would not fit in".

Some folks only know how to make do with what they have. They accept the fact it is impossible to have a refrigerator for now, so they will just get by until they can afford to buy one that works. That would be difficult for me to do, but I know many who can not afford the luxury of a way to keep milk or water cold. Yet, they don't whine and cry about it day and night but just plan towards the day when they can. They use what they have ability to pay for until they can do better.

I admire this way of life. I guess I have been here in Brazil to long and known to many people who I admire a great deal who live with so little and yet they are really happy and find contentment in having a bit less of this worlds goods and pleasures.

Maybe some would say I have a "salvation army" attitude. Maybe I have had to "make do" for so long it is a way of life. Is being content with little a bad thing? I don't think so. Godliness with contentment is great gain.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Well said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is a good thing to contemplate - the difference between needs and wants! God shall supply all our needs. . . .Godliness with contentment is great gain! I love you!

Rachel said...

You gave us a great chilhood Mom...I am grateful for everything especially the little things....
-Rachel