Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Good Thoughts in our troublesome times.



In looking over our bookshelf this past few days, I found some lost treasures. Books that were given to us by my father in law, Ralph Walmer. These books are old, but the messages they contain are uptodate in thought.


Enjoy this short poem that I post today in this blog. As I am not a poet, nor have I ever wanted to be a poet or prose writer, I shall leave it to you to decide if the message is true or not.


You May Lead a Horse

You may lead a horse to water
But you cannot make him drink.
You may send a boy to college
But you cannot make him think.
You may preach some men a sermon
but you´ll never change their way,
They will go right on tomorrow
As they´ve started out today.
You may tell them to be banking
but they´ll never save a cent;
You may urge them to be building
But they´ll keep on paying rent.
You may write a lot of verses
that you´ll never see in print.
You may tell a bore you´re busy
but he´ll never take a hint.
You may lead some men to business
but they´ll never make a start.
You may show some men their duty
but they´ll never do their part.
You may dress some folks in satin
but you´ll never change their looks;
you may give some folks a book store
but they´ll never read the books.
you may lead a horse to water,
but you´ll find this true, I think:
That unless the horse is thristy,
There´s no way to make him drink.

W. J. Burtscher

In thinking of all the folks I have met along the way of lifes road. People that had great opportunities to make a good life while on this earth, but instead, wasted every opportunity. Mainly the reason being .... no desire, no thrist, no desire, no desire..........without desire to do or be what is there? A life without a goal is a wasted life to be sure.
Looking back is easier than looking ahead. To see where one has been is easy but to look ahead is not an easy task. In thinking of this I see how important it is to be in God´s hands and have Him in control of our lives. He is the counsellor we have claim to.


1 comment:

Rachel said...

You are a very good writer. I can see you sitting in one of my Engish classes my senior year of college and discussing all the literature that we had to read....


Very good thought indeed...

Rachel